Friday, May 14, 2010

# 7 : What's Really Poppin' ??

Kara was at her desk, in her office, perusing an article Ricky had written on sustainable business practices. She was impressed with his work but she had no intention of making her true opinion known. The telephone rang. "It's Mr. Eric Crowther for you, Ma'am," Lorrie,her assistant, informed. She asked her to send him in. Lorrie's high-pitched squeaky voice had put Kara off.

"Goood Morning!", announced Ricky as he flung open the door and sashayed in with a great big smile. He plonked himself on the chair in front of her. "You rang?" he grinned. "The incorrigible Mr. Crowther. Welcome!" Kara sighed in disbelief and continued reading the article. "This article is decent... unlike your usual fare," she said. Ricky saw through her pretense and laughed. "So what's poppin' then?" he enquired.

Kara didn't respond a few minutes. Then without looking up at him she said, "I have things to discuss with you". "Then discuss away!" Ricky replied. His finger tapping on her desk was getting louder and his patience to sit still on the brown leather swivel chair was running out. "Do you mind? I'm not done with this yet," she snapped. Ricky felt the core of his being freeze up by her icy cold tone. "What's a guy gotta do to get some coffee around here?" he joked half-heartedly, in a vain attempt to lighten things up.

Kara: "So how was the date at Casa di Amore then?"

Ricky looked bewildered.

Kara: "Did you .. ehm, how shall I put it.. score?"

Ricky: "I beg your pardon! Did you ask me here to discuss my personal life?"

Kara: "Well, it's not quite personal if it involves one of my employees, is it? So do tell me Mr. Crowther, what do you have mind? I believe Alessandra still leaves for her photo-shoots most mornings from your place, am I correct? So where does Leighton figure in this mess?"

Ricky couldn't believe his ears. Kara had taken him by complete surprise. He struggled to keep a straight face. Kara's private eye skills, remarkable as they were, were not going to get the better of him. He was sure of that. "That's nonsense," he laughed nervously.

Kara found Ricky's failed attempt to portray nonchalance amusing. She put the article aside, looked him straight in the eye at him and said, as cheekily she she could, "I guess then that it would be safe for me to say that you were not at the Red Lounge Bar last night cozying up to a half-naked Alessandra". Ricky's face turned a deep hue of beet red. "That's not true," he stuttered.

"Hmm.. you're right, not entirely true". She leaned forward toward him and whispered, "She was about three-quarters naked!"

The next 15 minutes were marked by an exceptionally awkward silence as Ricky tried to think of something to say. Kara had resumed her reading. "So you're going to spill the beans then," he said finally. "Great. Go ahead but who will believe you? Why would she?" No one said a word for another good five or six minutes.

After what seemed like an eternity to Ricky, Kara rang Lorrie and asked for two cups of Latte to be sent in. "Don't forget the sugar for Mr Crowther," she added as she ended the call. "To help the medicine go down". She leaned back in her fancy leather chair and got comfortable. Her eyes fixed on him, the perverse delight of having snared him was written all over her face.

He struggled to hold her gaze. The unusually rapid pace of his heartbeat and the anticipation was killing him. What was Kara going to do? He despised being the object of her derision but for now he was helpless. He slid his shaking hands into his pockets, to further the charade of indifference, but indeed to conceal them. "How much did doing up her office cost them?" he wondered. A small fortune no doubt. He tried to contain his mounting anxiety by mercilessly cracking his knuckles. He was a goner.

Kara: "Relax Mr Crowther. You don't really think that I give a damn about your life, do you? I just want to know what your deal here is. Because if you continue your game, very soon my staff is going to be one short, which will end up messing with my business. And I'm sure you know how much I dislike that."

Ricky: "My game? You don't know me to judge me, Kara!"

Kara: "This is not judgement my dear, this is just some plain ol' mending fences. Oh and I do know you, a little too well regrettably"

Ricky laughed out loud. Her words had instantly lifted the massive weight of trepidation off his chest. He would survive the ordeal after all for Kara's threat to tell on him was an empty one. He did not appreciate her callous attempt to show him who's boss, but it was expected of her. After all, she was a woman who lived off one-upmanship. He was not one to keep score, but he would get back at her later.

He picked up Latte, pushed his chair away from the desk, spread his legs out as if to mark his territory. "So you regret it now?" The king had made a comeback.

Kara overlooked his query. "Does she know you're moving in three months?"

Ricky: "No but she will, eventually. I plan to take her with me"

"That's convenient - so you'll have someone to play house with. You can't have your cake and eat it too, you know," Kara warned.

"Watch me," he retorted, peevishly. Since when had she become the moral compass of Londoners?

Ricky decided against gulping down his now cold and tasteless drink. "You ought not to give me such scares, Mrs Ryerson," He knew she hated that title. "I had hoped to live till a ripe ninety but I'm sure I lost a couple years here today". He stood at the door for a few seconds and then as if instinctively asked her. "Any tips for a friend?"

Kara stopped reading for a few seconds but took care not to make it obvious to him. Then without any emotion, she stated plainly, "I would be wary of Emily".

There was a glint of triumph in Ricky's eyes. He left without saying goodbye.